NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Food and Cookery Skills
This qualification is designed for pupils with an interest in food and cookery. It provides them with the experience of using different cooking techniques and methods to enable them to use these within further education or apprenticeships. It also provides them with a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in the food sector.
The objectives of this qualification are:
- To prepare and cook using basic skills
- To understand food and it's function in the body and in recipes
- To understand balanced diets and the modifications of recipes for health purposes
- To plan and produce dishes for a scenario
The course will provide pupils with transferable skills essential for the modern workplace in:
- Research skills
- Problem solving
- Health and safety
Each unit is weighted equally, these are graded:
- Not yet achieved
The assessment for the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Food and Cookery skills is through internal assesment with external quality assurance by NCFE of a portfolio of evidence.
Candidates must be successful in all components to gain this qualification.
What can parents do to help?
- Develop a collection of favourite recipes and cookery books.
- Use of weighing scales and measuring jug/equipment at home is essential.
- Sharing recipes, practise of food preparation and cooking skills at home are actively encouraged by the food technology teachers.
- Ask your child to explain the meaning of the keywords/vocabulary that is new to each topic.
- Encourage your child to discuss what they have learnt each week as they progress through each unit.
- Look out for articles in newspapers or television and discuss them with your child.
- Parents can also encourage an interest in food and healthy eating.
If you need any further information please don't hesitate to contact email@example.com