STARS SEN Information Report

Click here to view diagram detailing steps schools need to take to ensure children with medical needs receive the support they need.

STARS SEN Information Report: Local Offer



Name of School

Sutton Tuition and Reintegration Service



Drapers Centre

Monkey Puzzle Way

Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 4NR

Name of contact person

Maggie Pursglove – Assistant Head (SENDCo)


0208 404 3124



Information and guidance/points of contact


Who will I contact to discuss the concerns or needs of my child?


The School aims to meet the special educational needs (SEN) of all our pupils as defined in our SEN policy.


If you are concerned about your child’s learning or progress in a particular subject, you can contact in the first instance their subject teacher or tutor.


If the concerns are in regard to learning need please contact the Assistant Head/Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) directly.

Appointments to see individual staff can be made by at the school office.

Assessing children/ Informing parents and carers/ Updates on progress/ If a child is not making progress


How does the school know how well my child is doing?


How regularly will I be updated on my child’s progress?


Will I know if my child is not making progress and what will happen?

We conduct baseline testing in literacy and numeracy for all new students in order to identify any additional learning needs that may require support.


Teachers regularly monitor and assess student progress, using the information to respond to individual needs.


Teachers regularly monitor rates of progress and identify pupils not making progress.   Sometimes standardised tests are used.


There are a number of opportunities through the academic year for parents to talk with staff.   Pupils are invited to attend structured conversations and academic reviews with staff, and parents receive a written report.  

If your child is not making progress the class teacher will discuss this with you at these meetings, or will make an appointment to speak to you.

If you are concerned about your child, we encourage you to discuss this with us at any time.

Some pupils receive additional support. This additional support may be documented by an individual Plan / Provision Map.

If your child continues to experience significant difficulty, after appropriate intervention and support from outside agencies, they may be put forward for an assessment of their special educational needs. This will be through a request for an Education and Health Needs Assessment by the Local Authority.

Curriculum and teaching methods               (including groupings / interventions )


What is the curriculum and how is it taught?


How will the curriculum be adapted to meet the needs of my child?


How flexible can teachers be in meeting the needs of my child?


Is there any additional support available to help my child reach his / her expected outcomes?

Pupils in key stage 3 and 4 attend the Drapers Centre where the average class size is six.   Core subjects in Maths, English and Science are provided in addition to other curriculum areas e.g. art and cookery. This curriculum includes GCSEs, vocational qualifications and other specialist and personalised programs.

Pupils are placed within ability sets as appropriate based upon the results of baseline data and ongoing progress.


Pupil timetables are individualised according to need in agreement with medical advice, pupils and parents.


Pupils in key stage 1 and 2 receive one to one tuition. This may be in the home or a hospital setting according to need. There is a teaching room at the Royal Marsden Hospital.


Teachers use a varied range of strategies; e.g. visual timetables to ensure all lessons are personalised and differentiated to support all pupils in making good progress.

Experiences to develop social skills and to enhance pupil success and progress including a range of weekly trips and off-site visits are a key component of our curriculum.

We involve a range of external agencies to offer additional support and intervention (Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language therapists).


Teachers are trained in special educational needs through their initial teacher training which is consolidated through in-house and external training.


Access to learning and the curriculum


Are there any special features or strategies to help children learn?


How do I know my child’s particular need will be met?




All Teachers and support staff are provided SEN Profiles of pupils giving them the information they require in regards to the individual child’s needs and classroom strategies. A tailored programme of information gathering is undertaken with the pupil’s previous schools to support the successful transition into the school and where appropriate back into the school they have been on respite from.


Some pupils have extra support in the classroom from teaching assistants. This support is flexible and may involve the teaching assistant being a reader or scribe for the pupils; the teaching assistant may differentiate the learning tasks further so that the pupils can complete the work independently.

Tests And Examinations: Access Arrangements


What arrangements are available for pupils to access tests and assessments?


How will I know if my child qualifies for additional support or time to access tests?

Access arrangements are concessions given to allow fair access to tests, exams and assessments. In order to be eligible for access arrangements there needs to be a clear history of need which can be evidenced by specialist testing and the pupils’ usual way of working in the classroom.


Access arrangements can be a reader, scribe, extra time or modified exam papers.


If your child is eligible for access arrangements, you will be informed by letter.

Social and emotional support


How does the school help my child to feel comfortable and safe and manage social situations?



How does the school help develop my child’s social and emotional skills?


What is the school’s policy on bullying?

STARS have a strong emphasis on support for pupils’ social and emotional needs.  


We have a Parent & Family Support/ Senior Social Worker who liaises with the family and pupil and also CAMHS. She can also signpost to other services and liaise with Social Services if necessary.


Regular parent coffee mornings are held where information and support can be given.    


We have a trained ELSA (emotional literacy support assistant) who can offer regular support sessions when needed, as well a youth worker specialising in wellbeing through creative expression.


We take issues of bullying very seriously and encourage children and parents to discuss any issues with us. A robust Anti Bullying Policy is in place which seeks to support individuals and their families

Disability support


What facilities are in the school to assist children with disabilities move around the building and take part in lessons?



How do I know my child will be able to access all lessons?



STARS has an accessibility plan which takes into account our duties under the Equality Act 2010.


All rooms are on the ground floor and are accessible for wheelchair users. Ramps are provided where necessary around the school site.

There is a separate toilet with access for wheelchair users.

Reasonable adjustments will be made where appropriate and following advice. Assistive technology will be used where appropriate.


Your child's needs will be discussed with you regularly and if there are any difficulties in accessing lessons they will be consulted.

Who we work with


Who does the school work with?


How does the school work with other agencies?


How will I be informed?

At STARS we work with a number of agencies from the education, health, social and community sectors including:


Educational Psychology Service

Sensory Impairment Service

Speech Language Communication     Service

Autism Support Service

Occupational Therapy

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

Special Educational Needs Team

Social Care

Voluntary services

Jigsaw 4 U

Social Services

Post 16 education providers


Parents and carers will be kept informed and consent is sought in most cases before a referral is made to an external service.

A referral will be subject to meeting the referral criteria for that service. Information about services which may be accessed directly by parents can be found on the Local Authority ‘Local Offer’ website.



How will the school help my child settle with confidence and manage change as they move between schools and year groups?

All pupils attending STARS are dual registered with the school setting who made the referral to our service.   We therefore have close links with our Primary, Secondary and Specialist schools.


Prior to admission to STARS, all pupils receive a visit from the Deputy/Assistant Head teacher. Close liaison with the previous school also takes place. – see Admissions Policy.


If your child has an EHCP - the Local Authority will make a copy available to us prior to your child starting school.


When pupils are able to transition back into mainstream school we support them into the new school placements as required.


Post 16:

We have a dedicated member of staff supported by a specialist, who facilitates transition. Pupils can be supported at College interviews and with completion of applications.

We are able to access careers advice for individual pupils in year 11.

We support pupils in the summer holiday and autumn term after they have left STARS to ensure they transfer to their college, apprenticeship or work placement.